- Pacific to Atlantic
- Camino Real de Panama
- Epic story of Conquistadores
- All-inclusive package
- Rainforest Conservation
- Age: 16 and up
- Gateway: Panama city
Trek from Pacific to Atlantic, on a cobblestoned colonial road through the primary rainforest of Chagres & Portobelo National Parks, used by endless mule caravans carrying about 200 tons of silver from Peru and Bolivia a year to the trade fairs of Portobelo, which attracted famous pirate and privateers like Francis Drake.
It’s the forgotten precursor of the Panama Canal, where the mix of indigenous, afro-descendent and mestizo population aspires for sustainable way of living and conservation of surrounding rainforests: experience history and be part of local communities quest for sustainability in tropical rainforests.This tour allows the participant to cross the Isthmus of Panama along the original route of the Camino Real, beginning in Old Panama on thePacific Ocean, trekking through the dense jungle of the Alto Chagres to reach Portobelo in the Caribbean. This three-day trekking has expedition character and requires very good physical condition from the participants. The night before departure, we will held a meeting to explain details of expeditions in the jungle, animals, safety, and also what to carry and what not (the trekker carries his day pack, while the tent, food and personal belongings are carried by porters - up to 15 pounds per person). The challenge of this hike is not the altitude, but the humidity and temperature of the tropical climate. Participate in this expedition really allows to experience and appreciate the work of the historical characters like Francis Drake and the unknown drovers of the mule trains, who crossed this road in the past. The first night we spent at a peasant village, where we will better understand their life situation within a national park and the problems of deforestation and conservation. The second day we start hiking the path of the Camino Real, soon we find a well-preserved segment of it in the mountains of the Chagres National Park and enjoy spectacular scenery. The third day we walk mostly in primary forests below old giant trees up to the headwaters of the Rio Boquerón, which pours down its valley over countless waterfalls. The fourth day we arrive finally at Portobelo in the Caribbean Sea, where between the walls of the Spanish fortifications remains the rich heritage of Afro-Caribbean populations.
View Camino Real in a larger map
1st day: Arrival to Panama
2nd day: Panama Viejo and Lake Alajuela
3rd day: Camino Real
4th day: Camino Real
5th day: Camino Real
6th day: Isla Grande
7th day: Panama Departure
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS
EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES PROVIDED
- Tents or Jungle hammocks
- First Aid Kit
- Complete Kitchen equipment with all cutlery, plates, cups
- All denoted breakfast (5), lunch (4) and dinner (3)
- Ground transfers and Lodging
WHO CAN GO ?
WHAT SHOULD YOU TAKE ALONG ?
Celsius is fine) and your camping mattress (air rest, thermarest or similar)
WHAT SHOULD NOT BE BROUGHT ?
About camp sites
- Day backpack for personal belongings during the tour
- Clothing: breathable lightweight outdoor clothing such as Columbia (one set of clothes with pants, long sleeved shirt, socks for hiking, a set pants and t-shirt for sleeping, 2-3 sport underpants and 2-3 quick dry-shirts, rain poncho, hat or cap, camping towel.
- Shoes: a pair of comfortable sandals (eg trekking sandals) and a pair of hiking shoes (trekking shoes).
- For overnight: light sleeping bag (up to 18 ° C is sufficient), camping mat (eg Thermarest or similar), if desired inflatable pillow
- Dry-bags to to keep the clothes dry in humid air, small dry-bags or zip-loc for money and documents
- Photography Equipment: camera, enough memory chips, battery/akkus, travel plug and charger
- Hiking or trekking poles
- Other: sunscreen, sunglasses, pocket knife, sewing kit, headlamp, sunburn relief, blister plasters (eg Second Skin), insect repellent, Band Aids.
- Drugs: personal medicines
2 participants USD $ 1,900.00 each
3 participants USD $ 1,575.00 each
4 participants USD $ 1,400.00 each
5 participants USD $ 1,275,00 each
Single Supplement $ 85.00